In Jan 2013 I started getting into improvised comedy 😂🎭, and since have been in numerous comedy groups, performing a lot around London 🇬🇧 and the occasional international gig 🇫🇮🇩🇪. Since this I've explored stand up 🎤, clowning 🤡 and musical 🎼 comedy as well. Below is a run down of my active and past comedy groups or projects.
I keep additional super rough notes on this project here.
Current Comedy Projects
There's been a bit of a pause since COVID-19 so will see how these projects go as I get back into the swing of things.
I started getting into stand-up from the summer of 2019 and since have been doing a bunch of courses and show to see how it goes. Here's any footage I have:
Since 2019 I've been doing a reasonable amount of clowning courses and a few solo clown shows. At the moment the idea is to merge the clowning into my stand-up work. But could end up doing more specific clown stuff as well.
NoScript and Smoosh
Previous Comedy Projects
A musical improvised comedy group. We do scenes that end in improvised songs! Started in 2019 we've done multiple shows all inspired from what you do on a normal Sunday. Ended up falling apart during COVID-19
A long form improvised comedy group. Joined Dec 2018 - Oct 2019, we've played shows at the Camden Fringe, bringing our conspiracy themed show Wake Up Sheeple!
A long form comedy troupe I put together for a run of a few shows in 2017/18
My first long form group, we ran from 2013 to around 2016 (can't quite remember) and did dozens of shows around London.
- Pause during COVID-19 😢
- 2020-03-05 (London, UK) - Stand Up level 2 end of course show (Link to video)
- 2020-03-04 (London, UK) - Hosting a comedy night for the Shark Trust
- 2020-02-01 (London, UK) - Solo clown show after the Devising Material for Clown course
- 2019-12-09 (London, UK) - Stand Up gig at Hoopla Fresh
- 2019-10-25 (Brighton, UK) - Velociraptor show at Scoop
- 2019-10-23 (London, UK) - First Stand Up gig
- 2019-10-14 (London, UK) - Velociraptor show at Duck Duck goose
- 2019-09-28 (London, UK) - Velociraptor show at the Hoopla Improv Marathon
- 2019-09-28 (London, UK) - Clusterfox show at the Hoopla Improv Marathon
- 2019-08-31 (London, UK) - Velociraptor show at Swipe Right's Summer Fling
- 2019-08-24 (London, UK) - Clusterfox presents Wake Up Sheeple! at the Camden Fringe
- 2019-08-23 (London, UK) - Clusterfox presents Wake Up Sheeple! at the Camden Fringe
- 2019-08-03 (London, UK) - Clusterfox presents Wake Up Sheeple! at the Camden Fringe
- 2019-08-02 (London, UK) - Clusterfox presents Wake Up Sheeple! at the Camden Fringe
- 2019-07-12 (London, UK) - Velociraptor show at the Hoopla pre-party
- 2019-07-08 (London, UK) - Velociraptor show at the Wenlock and Essex
- 2019-07-05 (London, UK) - Solo clown show at RH and Friends
- 2019-06-17 (London, UK) - Corporate NoScript and Smoosh show
- 2019-05-03 (London, UK) - NoScript and Smoosh show as CityJS Conf
- 2019-04-25 (Helsinki, Finland) - NoScript and Smoosh show as React Finland
- 2019-03-08 (London, UK) - NoScript at Smoosh own night
- 2018-11-30 (Berlin, Germany) - NoScript and Smoosh show as React Berlin
- 2018-10-05 (London, UK) - Solo stand-up bit at Formidable birthday event
- 2018-05-28 (London, UK) - And Now show at Duck Duck Goose
- 2018-05-17 (Paris, France) - Comedy talk at React Europe 2018
- 2018-04-12 (London, UK) - And Now show
- 2018-04-06 (London, UK) - NoScript at Smoosh own night
- 2018-04-04 (London, UK) - Random show at C3
And about a dozen or so older shows I can't remember.
- Hoopla - Get Back into Improv (2020)
- Pause during COVID-19 😢
- Hoopla - Perfoming Improv Online (2020)
- Nick Hall - Online Stand-Up Workshop (2020)
- The Nursery - Online Improv Workshop (2020)
- Zack Zucker - Clowning Workshop (2020)
- The Nursery - Duo Improv Comedy Course (2020)
- The Why Not Institute - Devising Material for Clown (2020)
- Hoopla - Stand-up Course Level 2 (2020)
- Hoopla - Story Improv Comedy Course (2019/2020)
- Track 96 - Hip Hop Improv Comedy Workshop (2019)
- Hoopla - Stand-up Course Level 1 (2019)
- The Maydays - September Improv Comedy Retreat (2019)
- Free Association - Improv Comedy Level 2 Course (2019)
- Hoopla - Clowning Level 2 Course (2019)
- No Name - Hip Hop Improv Comedy Workshop (2019)
- Hoopla - Clowning Level 1 Course (2019)
- The Maydays - March Improv Comedy Retreat (2019)
- North Coast - Hip Hop Improv Comedy Workshop (2018)
- Hoopla - Improv Comedy Character Course (2018)
- Hoopla - Wayfinders Improv Comedy Course (2017/2018)
- Monkey Toast - Improv Comedy Course Level 3 (2017 - unfinished)
- Hoopla - Musical Improv Comedy Course (2017)
- Monkey Toast - Improv Comedy Course Level 2 (2017)
- Monkey Toast - Improv Comedy Course Level 1 (2016)
- Spontaneity Shop - Improv Comedy Course Level 2b (2015)
- Spontaneity Shop - Improv Comedy Course Level 2a (2015)
- Spontaneity Shop - Improv Comedy Course Level 1 (2015)
2020-10-26 - 2020-11-06
Had a improv workshop on status. Which is always a fun topic to play around with. Especially switching status and status battles.
Also joined the premium social network "The Improv Place" which is super fun and feels great to be part of the community again.
2020-10-12 - 2020-10-25
Had an improv workshop on linking scenes and specificity. Super fun, got to do some proper scenes with editing which I haven't done since lockdown and it feels good. I encouraged some quite fast editing at first which I always find super fun with the right team. Although it was quite intense so we calmed down in the second run. Made me think about building a team or doing a format where the format is the timing of scenes. E.g. long, short, short, long, long, super short, short etc. Making it all about interesting pacing, managing the excitement and slow burn scenes.
2020-10-04 - 2020-10-11
Had a great session on character on a Hoopla Improv comedy course. Had some nice clowning warmups, which I forgot about how awkward but freeing it is. It's annoying that my leg is still bad as I'm normally very physical and energetic in character work. So had to be a bit more subdued, but good experience.
2020-09-27 - 2020-10-03
Continued the in person Hoopla Improv comedy course. Had a session on emotions within scenes. One of the most interesting and fun bits was a group scene around matching the emerging emotions. Led to a fun archery scene, where we were all aiming at one person and each time that person changed the emotion we all had changed. Most amusing.
2020-09-21 - 2020-09-26
Started the first in person Hoopla Improv comedy course since COVID-19 lockdown. Feels so good to be back. Worked on slowing down scenes, taking time and object work. All stuff that made social distancing easier as well.
2020-04-15 - 2020-05-03
Started a 4 week course on performing improv comedy online. It's a super fun course with lots of experimental ideas. Done a bunch of newscaster setups and making use of the chat window.
2020-04-05 - 2020-04-14
Had an online stand-up workshop, where I went through my rough ideas and got some great feedback, although is weird to do it online.
2020-03-21 - 2020-03-28
Due to coronavirus I can't do normal improv classes and practice, but did do an online session with The Nursery this week that went really well.
2020-03-09 - 2020-03-16
- Continued with the Duo improv class. This week looking at juggling multiple conversations in 1 scene
- Had a review session on the stand-up show from last week. So refined some jokes and got some great new ideas
2020-03-02 - 2020-03-08
Busy comedy week:
- Worked on the unique dynamic between 2 people in Duo improv class
- Hosted a comedy show with the Shark Trust doing some small bits and playing some improv games
Had my Stand-up level 2 end of course show (Link to video) which went very well around 8 minutes. Content included:
- My product design for a half bath
- Having baths with my dog and wife
- Shameless bath puns
- My inner self is a dick during meditation
- Teenage me was nerdy and adorable
- Making the noises of Nintendo characters
- Real life Mario Kart
2020-02-26 - 2020-03-01
This week I had 2 classes on:
- A Duo Improv (2 person improv scenes) class focussing on theme. Identifying it and doubling down on it when you've found it.
Stand-up class. Where I prepared a 5 min set on:
- Philosophy and the belief in many Phils
- A lovely drawing of me as a philosopher with a starfish
- Click bait and surprises
- How making the bed is a silly phrase
- The problems with water beds
- My inner mind during meditation
- Caring too much
2020-02-10 - 2020-02-17
Currently doing a stand-up course each week so have been preparing material for that. This weeks set contained:
- Why children are like drunk people
- The way I used glasses with green tinted lenses, magic and an emo fringe to try and find love as a teenager
- Why I'm still a child now
- Making silly noises from Mario and Nintendo characters in inappropriate situations
- If Mario Kart was real
- The link between bananas and Batman